Privacy and Confidentiality
In terms of information, privacy is the right of an individual to have some control over how his or her personal information (or personal health information) is collected, used, and/or disclosed.
Confidentiality is the duty to ensure information is kept secret only to the extent possible.
Our Privacy and Confidentially Policy ensures we protect and handle personal information in accordance with the NDIS and relevant privacy legislation.
We acknowledge an individual’s right to privacy while recognising that personal information is required to be collected, maintained and administered in order to provide a safe working environment and a high standard of quality.
This also extends to not just our Participants but to their families. To all staff of TLC First Support Services and any stakeholders.
Breaches in Privacy could result in a breach of the Privacy Act and result in the organisation and yourself as a Support Worker being fined.
This means that as an organisation we take breaches seriously and will act on all breaches.
Every one has signed a Confidentiality Agreement and this is vital it is followed at all times. There can be a thin line between building a trusting and supportive relationship with someone and abiding the confidentially agreement.
We reccomend that later your read these policys relating to Privacy and Confidentiality:
- Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
- Information Technology Policy
- Social Media Policy
What does this mean as a support worker?
- It means you keep your personal information to yourselves and create professional boundaries with participants.
- You should never disclose information regarding the participant or anything they have disclosed while with you to anyone. This includes other staff members and office staff. Unless it is information that could potentially be harmful to the participants or others.
- This falls under your responsibility as a Mandatory Reporter.
Compete the Confidentiality Task:
What do you believe is OK in our relationship with participants.
What do you believe is not OK in our relationship with participants.
No social media contact at all.
No personal details,
No phone numbers AT ALL
No sharing any information about the participants
No talking negatively about TLC staff or the company to participants.